The wholesale food manufacturer was found guilty of offences which resulted in both the rodent infestation and mould on windows and walls.
Councillor Paul Franklin, lead member at Lewes District Council, said: “It is critical we ensure the food residents buy is safe to eat and businesses must comply with food hygiene rules. In a minority of cases, where hygiene rules are repeatedly ignored, the council will take enforcement action.”
Falcone Baking Company’s premises were closed following an emergency hygiene prohibition notice being served. The company pleaded guilty and was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay the council’s full legal costs of £8,892, and a victim surcharge of £500 – a total of £14,392.
Ed Hele, service manager at Lewes District Council, said: “When food is exposed for sale in conditions that could place the public at risk, we have to act.”